Buying Canadian all along…
Donald Trump has ticked enough Canadians off with his tariffs and insults that many of us are now trying to do our best to buy Canadian, to really hit America in the pocketbook. It’s difficult, though, to know exactly what is fully Canadian and what isn’t (French’s Ketchup, for example – Canadian tomatoes and Canadian processed, but American owned. Arg.), so we thought we would give readers a rundown of things that they may purchase regularly but have no idea they’re actually buying Canadian. In no particular order:
- Kraft Dinner – who knew that KD actually WASN’T an American item? We were surprised to learn that the neon orange cheese and pasta in a box was truly Canadian – you can’t buy it in the U.S. Take that, America.
- Milk by the bag – we all pretty much knew that, but still. If it’s in a bag, you KNOW it’s Canadian. Got milk?
- Hickory Sticks – it’s fun to know that something so horribly fake and orange and processed-tasting could be so Canadian! We have a whole new respect for them, but are still cross that they’re really hard to grab out of the bag.
- President’s Choice anything – we’re all familiar with this story, so this one is no surprise. But we bet you don’t know that there are a few stores around Chicago that apparently carry the PC brand. Don’t tell Trump, because they weren’t HIS choice.
- Dunk-a-roos – another fake food shocker! These little gems, which many mothers we know refuse to buy, aren’t available anywhere else. They are, however, apparently available through Amazon for five times the regular price.
- Le Château – lots of malls are filled with ubiquitous find-them-all-over-the world stores, but Le Château is uniquely Canadian. It began as a family-run store in downtown Montréal, and now claims that it is as Canadian as poutine.
- Kisko Freezies – this staple of summertime is safe to pop in any Canadian freezer, as all the variations (small, large, jumbo, super fruity jumbo) are as Canadian as…poutine.
- McCain Deep N’Delicious Cake – the cake that has a resealable plastic dome lid is best eaten in one sitting. By oneself. Yum.
- Poutine – we need say no more. Go forth, be and buy Canadian.